Welcome to M.E. BAILEY ART . . . .

Here you will find adventures in painting. . . . Victories, absolute defeats, frustrations, highs, lows, lessons learned, commentary and thoughts from me and other artists.

As an art instructor, I don't wish to hide the fact that I crash and burn often. I will always be learning. So, it all gets shown here . . .good and bad. Every painting we do counts in the learning and experience process. The failures actually are much better teachers than successes. Every piece made is a teacher. That's the fun of it: the challenge to learn.

SEARCH FOR A WORD IN THE BOX TO THE RIGHT: COLOR, VALUE, PERSPECTIVE, IDEAS, MUSE, PLEIN AIR. . .ETC . . . .YOU'LL FIND PLENTY OF PAINTINGS AND IDEAS AS A RESULT. hAVE FUN!

Join in and comment or email me, if you would like.


Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Breaking Out . . .

"Patches"
Watercolor 22 x 30 inches

I had no idea the business of art and the business of art society stewardship would keep me so busy. Add to that a little bit of part time work, home duties etc. and life simply escapes me.

I have been cussing under my breath for some time about the robbery of painting time and finally have broken out to get to pure easel time. Oh, I have been at the easel for little snippets of time, painted a bit, but in the end my dissatisfaction with the effort made it not worth it. But I know better. Of course it was worth it. I was showing up for the muse to come visit. Maybe she didn't, but I worked at keeping my paints and brushes wet.

A few days ago, I drove to the Monterey Penninsula to visit a dentist there. My eyes popped out of my head as I could see acres of ice plant draping the dunes along the beach in every color of red, rose, russet, orange, burgundy, magenta and more. I had my trusty camera with me and a little extra time to gather a few reference photos. This painting, "Patches" is exactly what I was hoping for! It still isn't up to my standards when I am in the studio daily, but it sure relieved those achy painting joints . . . .and my grouchiness from not really getting to put in some creative time.

Happy Holidays to you and yours! My wife and I have lovely plans which have much to do with our family . . . . .and my easel!!

18 comments:

Jen Norton said...

Don't be so hard on yourself...your work is fabulous. I think your scenes of the coastal areas are my favorite of all your work. You know it well. Merry Christmas!

Studio at the Farm said...

Mike, "Patches" is wonderful! Your muse was right there for you. And I wish you a Happy Christmas and a great New Year!!

jose luis lópez (Kubi) said...

Fantástica acuarela, llena de color, luz y fuerza. Feliz Navidad.

David Lobenberg said...

Hey dude...I think we were in the Monterrey area at the same time! I did a few ink/wash sketches of Asilomar beach and a pile of shopping bags leaning up against our motel room.
This h2o is fantastico! Love the sweep of space and depth, and oh yea, the colors are sweet, sweet, sweet! How about we both do a wave and rock watercolor scene from one of my Asilomar file photos? We could post the results on our blogs. I've done this in the past with Milind Mulick in far off India and Terry Miura in near by Fair Oaks Village, CA. We could even open this up to the world at large and see what comes in. You and your family have a rollicking good holiday! A HUGE thank you for introducing me to the Santa Clara and Sierra Watercolor Societies in 2011. Let's both grab 2012 by the you-know-what!

Mike said...

And Merry Christmas to you, Jen!! Thanks for stopping by!

Mike said...

Hey Jen!! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!! Thanks for your nice comments, too.

Mike said...

Dear Studio . . . .

Good wishes right back at ya! Yes, I suppose the muse was indeed right there with me on this last painting. She is elusive at times, but pretty faithful for the most part.

Mike said...

And to you, Jose Luis! Feliz Navidad!

Mike said...

Bring it on, Dave!! It should be a blast to do!!

Patty said...

This is so beautiful! Merry Christmas!

David Lobenberg said...

Uno photo forth coming, Mike! Let the paintings begin!

Robin Weiss said...

Nice little patch of paint!...with loads of atmosphere and a bit of mystique!

Merry Christmas Mike! Wishing you a super year!

Mike said...

Thank you, Patty. That place is mind blowing it is so beautiful.

Mike said...

Robin, you old rascal . . . . .I would imagine that this last year has been glorious for you . . . .and this one coming will bring tons of happiness. Merry Christmas to you, and all the best to follow, my friend.

Dan Kent said...

This is just beautiful - I love it. It is up to my standards, which must be lower than yours. :) I have been so swamped with so much responsibility that I have no time whatsoever for painting as I'd like - I am so upset about it. I think back to times in my life when I had plenty of time, and I let them pass unused. Well, there is next year! Happy new year. (I'm too late for the Christmas greeting.)

Aubrey Studebaker said...

This is absolutely beautiful. The blurry-ness seems like a copy of the motion of your eyes scanning the surroundings. Nice touch. Gorgeous colors.

Mike said...

Thanks, Dan and Aubrey. The location is covered with the reds for as far as the eye can see! It is a painter's dream.

Mike said...

Thanks, Dan and Aubrey. The location is covered with the reds for as far as the eye can see! It is a painter's dream.